Friday, March 9

"Once a Village now my Ghost Town

I was recently asked by a person in one of my classes how I alter rub ons, because as you know, I have a serious love affair with rub ons. I LOVE them. But they are just like stickers...they don't always have to be used the way you buy them. My favourite way to alter a rub on is with ink. I try not to stick with just one ink colour unless I really want something specific to match. In this layout, I used many different Basic Grey Rub ons mixed in with Rhonna Farrer ones. I'm a huge fan of brown and the blue goes so well with it. But when I put the white rub ons on, it was too stark. So I took my "creamy brown" cat's eye, which is really light, and started dabbing it on the rubon. (I forgot to mention, you do have to adhere the rub on down first before you alter). Once I have dabbed it on, I immediately start wiping it off with a paper towel. The reason for this is, the rub ons have a "slick" finish that doesn't penetrate well. So if you didn't rub it off, it would just colour your page protectors. and get all over your photos eventually. So after you rub off the ink you can keep repeating this step with darker colours until you get the effect that you want. You can opt to "heat set" this instead with an embossing gun, but I always put rub ons over my photos and if you are not careful then you will just burn or curl your photo. This is a better way. Once you have one layer of ink dabbed on, any other colours will be accepted easier. Try this. It is a lot of fun. I actually do it a lot because not many companies make a large selection of brown rub ons, and as you know I love brown!
Tonight was Riley' last soccer practice. So sad, but was it ever fantastic. The kids were "superstars".I don't know if it was because it was their last one but they all played awesome and received medals at the end. Melina took some great shots, as usual. But I'll post them tomorrow. Sleep tight!
Food for thought: Watch what we say around kids, they are always listening. Riley told Jager to " chew your food like you mean it!" (in a bossy tone too.) we laughed pretty hard, but where does he keep getting these lines from???

2 comments:

jem said...

Good rub on tip! Soccer was fun!

Pam said...

this is a great layout leica.
i love your layouts and miss seeing them all the time.
someday i will have to stop by to check out your stuff!