Wednesday, May 2

Ask Leica -working with patterned papers

So, I am posting late, but isn't it so awesome that spring is here??? I am trying to get so much done, and now we are buying another trailer and our life is changing for the better because Jim will be home all the time. Excitement all around, and tomorrow I can reveal some awesome, awesome news. I'm so pumped for that. But let's talk about patterned paper. I started taking a crazy amount of pictures showing how to put stuff together and then I realized that it would be too long, so I am breaking this segment up into today's post is going to focus on companies that make patterned paper that go together and why it works. Then I'll do another day how to combine random pieces together. Okay? So let's roll. This paper is busy. But why it works is the words describe the picture, same colour themes, the word paper is really busy but the cartoon side is a little calmer. Now when I use this I will focus more on the cartoon image paper and just add a strip of the word paper in. Then depending on what the boys are wearing will depend on the cardstock choice. Obviously I am dealing with primary colours but I might choose to put more of an emphasis on blue, to calm the layout down. Red makes the layout more drastic and yellow will make it bright and cheerful. Depends on the photos and mood you want of the layout. This Heidi Grace paper is fantastic. She coordinates all of her lines and personally I cannot live without her product! A great combination has always been pairing stripes with a bold pattern like polka dots, flowers or large geometric shapes. So this completely works. The colours are repeated and she gives a little element of design putting the hearts on the stripes and flowers.

This paper I picked up for Pam & Melina. It is FUZZY!!!! I wishI had a girl, but lucky enough they did have boy fuzzy paper. So I'm satisfied. The words are tone on tone with the contrast of polka dots. Are you seeing the pattern? subtle with contrast.
Now here is stripes with a pattern complimenting the stripes. Colours repeated, the unique shapes created are definitely the focal point. Great paper hey?? Just got it this weekend at Urban Scrapbook in Edmonton. Hi girls! They are always so much fun.
you can't tell with this magnolia paper but the orange is a slight patterned paper which matches awesome and I prefer to use it versus a cardstock when a solid slight pattern paper matches this well, because we all know, you can't always find that perfect cardstock match all the time. The one cool thing too about using a matching paper like this, is when you go to distress it like sanding, you will reveal a white core. So that looks awesome when a hint of white shows. This doesn't happen with cardstock UNLESS you buy a brand like DCVW who do make an awesome neutral line that I use unbelievably. It is a great product.
Here is the same line but now I've added the stripes, see how instantly it looks more finished. Even though nothing is done with it, the balance is forming.
unfotunately, the colour isn't doing this paper justice right now. I really find that navy blues aren't easily photographed. oh well you get the idea.surprisingly though the 2 drastic patterns are the same colour lines. subtle crosshatched paper, with stripes and circles.
here is a fun line that gives you so many choices on how to put stuff together. pick and choose whatever, they all work. paisley is a really fun thing to use. I always think it looks heritage like but I still have been able to "modernize" it to suit my purpose.okay, totally love this Crate paper line. It is perfect for boys!!!! Primary again but lot's of subtle elements that work well together. I have been know to use all of these papers together but I do find a better result if you just pick 3-4. Unless of course you are going to scrapbook on Martha Stewart's new 18 x 18 line. Then go hard! I love that size.
The trick with using patterned paper is quantity. Use the gallon, pint ,ounce theory. This will give you better ratios of how much product to use. I always use the most of my favourite paper unless it just doesn't work. then I pick a less busy paper to compliment it. I sometimes use 2-8 pattern papers. It doesn't matter. Just remember the balance. And remember that sometimes we like the petterned paper more than our pictures but you should try to keep the pics the focus and the paper the enhancing factor. I admit, I fall into this category sometimes but I'm trying to work on it. Have fun!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally love these papers and seeing how you put them all together. I am SO EXCITED to scrap with you this weekend and be productive! See you then.

Pam said...

This is fantastic Leica!
I can't wait to see the fuzzy paper in person! You are such a great friend always picking up new product for me!!
I can't wait for everyone to learn your exciting news! I am sooooo pumped for you! You deserve it because you rock girl!

Dawn Hueser said...

Oh I think I know your awesome news and if I am right I am thrilled for you.

Excellent lesson on the use of pattern papers.