Wednesday, April 11

Recipe Day!!! Let's make some BUNS!

Okay, so I am actually making this recipe as I speak.

BUNS -

this is actually a great recipe from my mother in law (Linda Forrest who is known for the best buns in town.)

  • 3 cups warm water
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp Fleishmann's quick rising yeast
  • 2 eggs, beaten well!
  • 7-9 cups flour
  • Mix the first 4 ingredients. Then add one tbsp of flour to this mixture, stir. Now add the yeast and eggs. The flour will make sure if your water was too warm it won't spoil the yeast. A surefire trick! Add flour ONLY till the mixture is non sticky. I always add to much flour so now I keep mine a little tacky. Knead, put oil on top and let rise 15 min. Repeat this 3 times. Make them into balls. Let rise and bake at 350 for 20 min.

***** now, that was her recipe. Here are tricks I've learned. My entire house is covered in windows so it isn't generally on the warmer side. These buns turn out the best when your house is toasty!!!! So I do crank up my heat when I make buns. I also preheat my oven and let my buns rise on the stove above. I also found that your perfect bun size will take about 20-30 min to rise. Don't rush them or they are a little heavy. And don't forget gramma's trick. Always cover your dough & buns with a clean tea towel when rising. (keep all the warmth in) My last hint; my oven is a little too hot, so I lower by temp to 325 and I bake my buns for 30 min (or till a perfect golden brown) Get out the butter because they are sweet right out of the oven!! Bon appetit!

So I am a huge believer in kids helping out. Does it really matter if I know I could do it better without them? no. Do they get a huge amount of enjoyment???Yes. Do they become more familiar in the kitchen?yes. Do they learn new things?yes. The following are pics of the boys helping me this afternoon.Enjoy. By the way, they turned out GREAT!

it is so funny, they both put out their hands to get greased up to punch the bread.
see, turned out great!

No comments: