Tuesday, April 17

Tips & Hints

Okay, there are so many ways to use Heidi Swapp masks. I came up with a brief list of how I use them. If you have more ways; share!

  • acrylic paint
  • watercolours
  • chalk
  • perfect pearls
  • spray paint
  • alcohol inks
  • trace it & then colour it
  • use them as a base to doodle with

So to begin; ALWAYS touch your brand new mask to your jeans. You need to take off some of the tackiness otherwise you have just laid down a sticker. They are so tacky that they sometimes will not come off. Once you've desensitized them they work great!

  • Below I used multiple colours of acrylic paint and I dabbed it on. You can paint from side to side but I like to dab. you can use a sea sponge too, it works great!
  • Below I inked the mask. DO NOT RUB your cat's eye ink. you'll just rip the sponge off and what a waste. DAB! It takes a while and you might have to go over it with different colours of ink to get the effect you want. It is a really beautiful effect.
remember peel slowly, sometimes the masks "stick" and will rip your bottom paper off. voila! C'est magnifique!

As you all know, I love alcohol inks and especially on transparencies (remember, take off your rings ladies, mine are platinum and I really do not want these colours to stain my rings, because alcohol inks stick to metal amazingly!!!!!) Either drop "drops" right on the area you are working with, or I just cut up pieces of felt and squirt them. I do both ways, it just depends on what look I am desiring!

  • this is what the drops do. They start to create circles that run. You can add many different colour drops and it looks great! But, know when enough is enough. They can get murky.
  • End result! Looks funky for a Hallowe'en page.

  • If I want a softer look then I use chalk or perfect pearls. I really like the shimmer perfect pearls offers. use a Q-tip, works great! One dip really goes a long way!
  • cool hey? Care for your masks: When I met Heidi she told me to just wipe them off, it doesn't matter if you clean them, they will dry. If they become not as tacky anymore, then completely wash them in soapy hot water, soak them even. Let them completely dry and they will be tacky again. Now make sure you store them flat, if any part gets bent, it pretty much is now useless. You can still use it but it won't stick down on its own and it will just cause you grief. I personally am obsessed with her alphabet masks. They are great! Remember you can always cut apart the masks, you don't have to use them how they come. And you can use them as stickers. Have fun. Email me if you create some cool stuff with masks. actually I had the pleasure of meeting a friend of Dawn's & Corrine's named "Bryan", (please correct me if I'm wrong) His work is really amazing that he does of his wife & kids. I actually heard his mom isn't doing well so I hope all is going well. But he spray painted "scrapbook him" on his crop bag using HS letters. It looked GREAT! Anyone have a picture of this???

scrap-mommy@hotmail.com

4 comments:

Dawn Hueser said...

Great lesson on using the masks my dear. You always amaze me.

I thought you might like a sample so sending you the URL for an album that I made using the masks to start with and then you know me ...........had to make it my own hehe. http://www.scrapablemoments.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10087/IMG_3695.jpg

Oh and I gave Bryan your blog address so look forward to him dropping by and leaving his two cents worth!

scrappaleica said...

Dawn, thanks I'm going to the site right now and I'm going to copy the pic for my site too! Thanks for telling Bryan, I'd love to get a pic of his bag! It was smashing!

Bryan said...

WOW That was fast!!!!
thanks for putting that up there!!!!

scrappaleica said...

no prob Bryan, your work rocks!