Tuesday, April 10

Tip #2- working with different sizes & shapes

Okay, so my challenge this week was to explore different sizes and or shapes. Has anyone started? If you are going to a smaller size , you should use a little less embellishments. You don't want to overcrowd the page UNLESS you are going for a total collage look. When you are going to a different shape altogether, keep your layout a little simpler in order to draw the most attention to your shape. In the brothers layout, I used a zigzag Bazzill shape. It is a very prominent shape, so I thought why not make the most of it? I accentuated the shape by sewing a border. Truthfully, I am nuts & addicted to sewing on my layouts. This was incredibly time consuming, and I had to go so slow! But I think it paid off in the end. I didn't ink the outer edges because I thought it would be too much for the page. I combined pattern papers that worked with the base colour to continue with the flow. I changed the pic to sepia in order to make it work. For all the accents (buttons & ribbon) I kept them the same colour as the layout to make sure I didn't detract from the shape. I think it flowed well. It also was a blast to do this page. If this type of layout scraes you, why not just try incorporating the shape onto a background but keep the background colour minimal and still make the shape your focus. Now what if you only scrapbook 8 1/2x11? Then remember you have 2 options; portrait & landscape. Now if you are going to a 6x6 or 8x8, it sometimes makes more impact if you have a larger accent/embellishment and make that your focal point. When you put too much on these smaller sizes you lose the picture in the elements. ( if you haven't worked with 8x8's before you have to sign up for a class Pam teaches at Scraptology called Fast n Fun. You get 10 layouts for $30.00 and you are done in the 2 hours. and they are kick butt layouts.) So let's give it new sizes or shapes a try. Send me your work if you want me to put it on my site: scrap-mommy@hotmail.com Oh, sorry for my lateness in blogging this, Riley found out he didn't have measles, felt better so we went with Jim to Edmonton yesterday for a quick trip to see my preggo sis. (who is so beautiful preggo!!!) we just got back. Have a great night!

3 comments:

Pam said...

hope you had a great time in edmonton! i am glad that riley is feeling better too!

Dawn Hueser said...

Yeah for Riley! I know that you will have all enjoyed the family time together.

scrappaleica said...

we sure did have fun Dawn.